Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cashew Dressing




Sorry for the lack of posts, our Internet has been down, but I finally made my way up to the local coffee shop to post this!

We are pretty spoiled when it comes to salad dressings. I used to dread picking out store-bought dressing because nothing was ever up to my standards (to much sugar and vegetable oil) or my taste buds. I got into making my own salad dressings from one of my favorite bloggers Detoxinista, and I have been hooked ever since. Though I normally just throw something together with the base being olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; my husband has urged me to start writing down the recipes because they are really good! Today’s dressing tastes a lot like ceaser dressing, if you have anchovy paste or kelp powder then adding some to this will make it even more authentic ceaser tasting. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.





 Cashew Dressing

Gluten Free, Vegan
Make about 1.25 cups

1 cup cashews, soaked*
½ cup fresh water
½ lemon, juiced
4 tbls olive oil or flax oil
2 tbls Dijon mustard
1 tbl maple syrup (optional)
1-2 tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt





  1. *Soak the cashews for at least 1 hour, this makes them easier to digest and softens them up so they will blend more smoothly.
  2. Drain and rinse the cashews (don’t use the water they were soaking in) and then add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides.
  3. Taste and adjust seasonings, keep in mind that the flavor will develop more the longer it sits.
  4. Store in the fridge for 5 days or freeze. This will solidify a bit in the fridge, I recommend pulling it out for at least 10 minutes before you want to use it and giving it a good shake.




Notes and Substitutions

  • You can add other herbs to this, I like thyme and basil.
  • This is a pretty thick and creamy dressing, if you prefer it thinner then just add more water and adjust the seasonings.







What is your favorite type of dressing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.