Monday, December 22, 2014

Easy Chocolate Drizzled Kettle Corn


I don't think I've publicly admitted my love for corn and corn products yet. My name is Morgan, and I freaking love me some corn. Unfortunately, like most love stories, corn does not reciprocate my love. It's not that I'm allergic, but it certainly doesn't digest well. I've given up corn cereals, polenta, and even whole corn (except for a couple fresh ears in the summer, worth it!), but I refuse to give up popcorn. It would have to cause me more than a minor bellyache for me to quit. We gave away our microwave a few years back and haven't missed it. I absolutely love fresh popcorn popped in coconut oil with a little sea salt hot off the stove and have even found local organic kernels from Riverview Farms (they also have amazing meat if you are in the Georgia area). I certainly reserve it as a treat, but my toddler also got the undying-love-for-popcorn gene, so it is a more frequent treat now! If you've been to the grocery store at all in the past month then you've undoubtedly seen bags of this this stuff. I did purchase one for a holiday party and it was a big hit. A few days later my son came asking me for the "choc poppa-corn". I figured I could probably make a slightly healthier version for cheaper at home. And I was right! I used healthy coconut oil, organic popcorn, and low glycemic coconut sugar. Whether you need a last minute gift, something to feed the influx of guests at your house, or just a treat to watch a holiday movie with, this kettle corn will certainly hit the spot. Enjoy!





Chocolate Drizzled Kettle Corn

Makes 10-12 cups
Gluten Free, Vegan
Adapted from this recipe

For the Kettle Corn:
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 tbl coconut oil (you could use avocado oil too)
2 tbl coconut sugar (sucanat, turbinado, or brown sugar will also work)
3/4 tsp salt or to taste

For the Chocolate Sauce:
1/2 cup chocolate chips (this brand is dairy, soy, and gluten free)
1 tsp coconut oil

You will also need:
A medium to large size pot with a lid or use a heat resistant plate or dish to cover the top
A large bowl to toss the popcorn
One or two cookie sheets or jelly roll pans


  1. Begin to heat two tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat. Place three popcorn kernels into the oil and cover. When you hear all three pop the oil is ready.
  2. Once the oil is ready, quickly add the sugar and kernels and cover. Begin gently shaking the pot immediately.
  3. Once you hear a lot of popping, alternate picking the pot up and shaking for a few seconds and holding over the heat for a few seconds. This method will keep the kernels from burning.
  4. Once the popping slows to a few pops per second, take it off the heat and keep shaking until you don't  hear anymore popping.
  5. Dump the popcorn into a large bowl and immediately toss with salt.
  6. Spread the kernels into one layer on a cookie sheet, you may need two sheets depending on the size.
  7. Make your chocolate sauce by melting half a cup of chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil. You can use the double-boiler method, but I prefer to put the chips and coconut oil in an oven safe dish and heat in the oven on 300oF for about 8 minutes until the chips look wet, and then stir.
  8. Once the chocolate sauce is ready, use a spoon to drizzle over the popcorn. It helps if you flick the spoon a little bit. 
  9. Place the sheets in the freezer for about 5 minutes until the chocolate is firm.
  10. Break apart the popcorn and store in a sealed container in the fridge for about 4 days. It loses some of it's freshness each day.



Notes and Substitutions


  • If you just want to make kettle corn without the chocolate drizzle then I recommend using 3 tablespoons of sugar.
  • You can use any kind of high heat cooking oil, but I recommend the coconut for the health and the flavor. Avocado oil would be great too.
  • This recipe would be a great base to a trail mix. You could add pretzels and crushed candy cane for an extra special treat.

Heat oil and 3 kernels in a covered pot over medium.

Once the kernels have popped add the sugar and kernels, cover and begin shaking.

Alternate holding over the heat and picking up and shaking for a few seconds until popping slows.

Remove from heat and keep shaking until popping stops. Dump into a bowl and toss in salt.

Spread the popcorn into 1 layer on cookie sheets.

Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together to make a sauce.

Drizzle chocolate over popcorn then place in the fridge or freezer to harden.


Do you have any quick homemade gifts you like to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.