Friday, April 25, 2014

Bunny Food Slaw and Airy Green Dressing






I have to apologize, I've had this recipe sitting on go since last weekend but between the holidays, birthdays, and general mommy/wife duties I forgot to post it. It may be to late for your Easter/Passover/Blood Moon celebrations but I promise if you try it then you will be making it all spring! 
The food table at one of our holiday/birthday celebration





I never liked coleslaw when I was a kid. Maybe it was because the only kind I was exposed to was the gross stuff from the fast food fried chicken restaurant (no offense if you like it! I like some "gross" stuff too, ever had scrapple?) As I've gotten older and exposed to more varieties of coleslaw it has really become one of my favorite foods. It's crispy, refreshing, and satisfying. This recipe was born after I made this amazingly light dressing for our weekly salads, I knew it would be perfect for coleslaw. Enjoy!


Bunny Food Slaw

Gluten Free, Vegan
Makes about 5 cups

1 small head of red cabbage
10 small radishes
7 medium carrots
3 green onions, finely sliced
1 recipe of "airy green dressing" found below


  1. Shred the cabbage, radishes, and carrots. You can use a spiralizer, salad shooter, julienne peeler, or simple finely slice them. 
  2. Add them to a large bowl with the green onions, pour the dressing over, and mix well. 
  3. Let it marinate for at least 4 hours but preferably over night in the fridge. It will reduce in volume by about 1/2 overnight. Taste and add more salt if desired.
  4. Store for about 5 days in a sealed container in the fridge. 



Notes and Substitutions


  • You can use any mix of vegetables that you like, but I enjoy the color of the purple cabbage.
  • Serve this as a side with Siracha, as a dip with celery sticks, or on top of burgers.














Airy Green Dressing

Gluten Free, Vegan
Makes about 2 cups

2 small green apples, cored
1 small ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 lemon juiced, about 3 tbl spoons
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry dill weed
1/2 tsp black pepper

  1. Remove the core from the apples and scoop out the flesh of the avocado.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You may have to add more water to get it to blend.
  3. Store for 4 days sealed in the fridge or freeze in an ice cube tray.

Notes and Substitutions

  • I like to make a half batch of this dressing for our weekly salads.
  • You can use other dried or fresh herbs instead of dill. I like the way the dill looks though. I think basil, sage, thyme or mint would taste great!
  • You can use any variety of apple you like, but I prefer the tartness you get from green apples. 
  • I leave the skin on the apple and because my blender is not powerful it is not completely smooth. You can't tell in the coleslaw but if you are making this as a salad dressing and you don't have a high-powered blender then I would peel them.



What is your favorite way to make coleslaw?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.