Sunday, March 8, 2015

Food Prep for Postpartum


When we had our son two years ago I did a lot of planning. I researched low toxicity baby gear, compiled lists of baby items parents said they used most, and made sure we had every possible thing we needed for when baby got here; down to nail clippers, emergency infant Advil, and this little thing that vibrated on his chest and made him chill out when he got his diaper changed. The one thing I didn't do was plan for my post partum time. I think the sum of my food prep was making banana bread, which we devoured at the hospital, and some mothers milk tea. Even though in all my research I read that you should freeze or arrange some meals, I somehow, either in ignorance or denial, just ignored the advice. We didn't starve but we ate pretty terrible for the first month. I had some family come by and make a few meals but it was mostly ordering out or me eating protein thin mints all day until my husband came home and cooked. Well lesson learned! This time around I have a full freezer and a plan. To get everything made in about a week I simply made the meal for dinner and doubled the recipe to freeze some. It was especially great with the deserts because we got a little desert every night!







Meals

I made and froze several meals that can be thawed and cooked in the slow cooker or quickly in the oven. I made enough of each to have several portions and stocked up on frozen vegetables as quick sides.

Curry Chicken Legs- Frozen chicken legs and wings tossed in curry, salt, and pepper. Thaw and bake on 425 for about 45 minutes. Serve with veggies or rice.
BBQ Pulled Chicken- Frozen chicken breast and thighs with homemade BBQ sauce. Thaw and cook on low in the crock pot for 6-8 hours. Serve with veggies or rice or make sandwiches.
Asian Pulled Pork- Frozen boston butt with homemade teriyaki sauce. I mixed coconut aminos, honey, fresh grated ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and sea salt for the sauce. Thaw and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add some frozen broccoli the last 2 hours. Serve over rice.
Frozen Pizzas- Homemade pizza crust and sauce topped with chicken and vegan cheese. I pre-cooked the crust and then added the sauce and toppings, froze, and then wrapped in foil then plastic wrap. Cook on 425oF from frozen for 10-15 minutes until cheese melts.
Meatballs- I doubled the recipe then added 3/4 pound ground pork and 1/4 pound ground liver. Thaw and serve over spaghetti squash or on salads.


Sides and Sauces


Squash Fries- I peeled and de-seeded several butternut squash; tossed in avocado oil salt and pepper and froze on a sheet before putting into a freezer bag. Cook on a lined sheet on 425oF for about 25 minutes until crispy.
Homemade BBQ Sauce- I made the sweet version with smoked sea salt. I froze several jars because BBQ sauce on anything is delicious.
Cilantro Freezer Sauce- These are great in rice, over meat or veggies, or to make a quick aioli. 
Guacamole- Did you know you can freeze guacamole? For the best texture use dry spice like onion powder instead of fresh onion which will make it watery. I like just mashed avocado, lime juice, salt, onion granules, garlic granules, and cumin.
Bone Broth and Chicken Stock- I have plenty of quarts in the freezer for making quick soups or for cooking rice. Broth is very nourishing and I love making egg drop soup with it.
Salad Dressings- I made and froze several types of salad dressings. Megan over at The Detoxinista has all the best salad dressings and other food prep tips. 

Treats

I made and froze all of these items, many can be eaten straight from the freezer and will quell my sweet tooth! It has been hard not to dig into them while we wait for baby.

N'oatmeal cookies (without the marshmallow filling)
Protein Thin Mints - Please note that for some women 'mint' can lower their milk supply. I have never had that problem personally but you can make these with vanilla extract.
Banana Muffins- I used toasted coconut butter instead of almond butter to keep these nut free.
Chocolate Pudding Pop's


Staple Items

I fully intend on sending a family member out for bagged lettuce and fresh fruit but I went ahead and stocked up on some items.

Sardines- I know these aren't everyones favorite but a tin of sardines mixed with avocado and sauerkraut is one of my favorite meals.
Plantain Chips- from Trader Joes. We all love these instead of traditional corn tortillas.
Apple Chips- I love BareNaked brand for a sweet snack.
Coconut Water- Perfect for re-hydrating, especially since I will be tandem nursing. I also plan to bring some to the hospital. 
Eggs- We bought several dozen from the farmers market. Eggs take almost zero time to cook and my toddler enjoys helping crack them. Fresh eggs will last several months and pasture raised eggs are very nutritious
Frozen Fruit and Veggies-While I love going to the farmers market, I plan on relying on frozen veggies for a bit. I buy bulk organic from Costco.


Do you have any good food prep tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.