Saturday, May 30, 2015

King Cookies


Today I have a super decadent treat for you. I don't buy peanut butter very often because I really can't control myself around the stuff, but after getting into a passionate conversation with a friend about our mutual peanut butter love; the itch had to be scratched. Lately I've been working on making deserts that are only sweetened with fruit; bananas or dates usually work well. So, I had the peanut butter and I had the banana, but where was the pizzazz? Leave it to my husband to challenge me. He informed me that Elvis Presley was famous for making fried PB&B sandwiches so 'why don't you make it taste fried without frying it'. Mmmkay... well after a little "research" I found out he fried them in bacon fat. This was right up my alley because if you are a female on the mom's side of my family then you have a jar of bacon fat for making fried rice, its just a fact. If you think I'm totally bonkers for adding bacon fat to this then try butter, if you want them vegan then try palm shortening. These cookies have a delicious sweet and savory thing going on. I had to make 2 batches because my toddler and I ate them all before I could snap photos. Enjoy!






King Cookies

Gluten Free
Makes 15

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 very ripe medium banana
2 tbls bacon fat
.5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt


  1. Preheat over to 350F
  2. Mash the banana with a fork.
  3. Add all of the ingredients and mix well
  4. Scoop by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. The dough is pretty sticky, if you wet your fingers it can be easier to work with. Do not flatten out.
  5. Bake for 11 minutes until golden. Let them cool before serving.
  6. Store in the fridge for several days or freeze for later.



Notes and Substitutions


  • These are not extremely sweet, but my toddler loved them. Make sure your banana has black spots.
  • I tested these flattened out and as little mounds, the texture is much better if you just leave them the shape of the tablespoon.
  • To get bacon fat just fry up a pan of bacon and pour off the grease. Yum! Try palm shortening or butter to replace the bacon fat but you will lose some of the flavor.





Mash the banana


Mix in remaining ingredients.


The dough will be sticky, wet your hands to work with it.

Scoop tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet.


Baked 11 minutes on 350F




What types of fat do you like to cook with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.