Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Vegan Protein Parmesan




Though we no longer indulge in spaghetti dinners around here, I have gotten really into using my spiralizer to make vegetable noodles. Zucchini, sweet potato, and celeriac all make really great noodle substitutes. I also love using 'spaghetti sauce' as a way of using up extra veggies like carrots and beets (I use them instead of tomatoes). Of course you can't have a plate of fake spaghetti with fake sauce without some fake parmesan! Many years ago when I first tried nutritional yeast I hated it, but like most things that are healthy, I learned to love it. Nutritional yeast has a flavor REMINISCENT of cheese and is full of healthy B vitamins. I paired it with protein packed hemp seeds for even more nutrition. I keep a jar of this in the fridge for sprinkling over my eggs and of course for fake spaghetti night!







Protein Parmesan

Gluten Free, Vegan
Makes about 1/2 cup

1/4 cup + 2 tbl Hemp seeds

1/4 cup nutritional yeast
pinch sea salt

  1. Combine the ingredients in a food processor or bullet type blender and pulse to combine.
  2. Taste and adjust ratio to your liking.
  3. Store in a jar in the fridge.

Notes and Substitutions

  • You can add other seasonings like garlic powder or lemon rind to change the flavor.
  • I like the protein and nutty flavor of the hemp seeds but you can use other nuts or seeds. Cashews make an even more authentic tasting parmesan. 



What is your favorite gluten free noodle alternative?












Where to buy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.