Monday, June 30, 2014

Watermelon Ice Cubes


I've still been working on creative ways to use up extra watermelon. We enjoy our watermelon dressing and I just made a batch of these watermelon gummies, I've also been adding the juice to my homemade kombucha. It occurred to me that the watermelon juice would make fun and tasty ice cubes. So I don't have a recipe today, more of a 'how-to'. These ice cubes make great natural pink lemonade and are perfect in a cocktail. Enjoy!









Watermelon Ice Cubes

Gluten Free, Vegan

About 5 cups watermelon, preferably mostly deseeded
Blender
Fine mesh strainer, nut milk bag, thin dish towel, or several layers of cheese cloth


  1. Add the watermelon chunks to a blender and smash them down with a wooden spoon
  2. Blend until completely smooth. I had to pulse several times and then let it run for about 30 seconds.
  3. Strain the pulp through a strainer, a nut milk bag, or several layers of cheese cloth. I ended up with about 3 cups of juice
  4. Pour the juice into and ice cube mold and freeze over night.
  5. Enjoy in lemonade or other beverages.


Notes and Substitutions


  • The resulting ice cubes will be a little sticky and not quite as sturdy as water-ice cubes
  • As they melt they will turn your lemonade pink. So fun!
  • I thought I would be clever and use my french press to strain the pulp, but the strainer was actually to fine. The nut milk bag worked the best.





Add watermelon to the blender

Smash down

Blend until smooth

Strain


Pour into mold

Freeze overnight






What are ways you like to use up watermelon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.