Saturday, January 10, 2015

Homemade Avocado Oil Mayo


I love the new year and everyones sense of determination and new beginning (however short lived they may be). Though I try not to make any grand unrealistic resolutions, I do use the motivation this time of year to better myself and our family in practical ways. One simple way that our family has made healthy changes in the past is to start making 'processed' food items at home. Not only does this save money, but it is a lot healthier than most things I can buy in the store. I've talked before about how we make all of our own salad dressings, and I realized we've been making our own mayo for a few years now. I was never satisfied with the ingredients in store-bought mayo, most have a lot of unhealthy oils, preservatives, or unnecessary sugar or stabilizers. I was intimidated to try and make it myself though, and I admit there have been some flops, but after some tweaking and practice the results now are consistently great. It doesn't take much time to whip up your own mayo so why not give it a try? Don't worry if it's not perfect the first time, it may take a few times to get the technique right; the biggest issue I have had is not getting it to emulsify and thicken properly, you can still use it as a salad dressing when this happens. Enjoy!








Homemade Avocado Oil Mayo

Perfect for chicken salad!
Gluten Free
Makes about 1 cup

1 large egg yolk, preferably room temperature
1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 tbl honey or maple syrup 
1/4 tsp prepared mustard, yellow or Dijon is fine
1/8 tsp salt
1+ cups avocado oil


  1. Separate the yolk from the white. I usually crack the egg and tip the white out by passing the yolk in between the shell halves. You can save the white for another use, give it to the dog, or discard it; place the yolk into a bowl. It seems to work a little better if you let the yolk come up to room temperature but when I'm in a hurry I don't and it usually still works fine.
  2. Add all of the ingredients, except the oil, to the yolk and whisk to combine.
  3. While whisking the mixture, add one drop (yes one) of oil and whisk.
  4. Continue whisking while very slowly adding the oil, start with drops and once it is combining well pour in a slow steady stream. 
  5. Continue whisking and adding oil until the mayo reaches the desired thickness. It will vary each time you make it but should be around 1 cup of oil.
  6. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. I have kept this refrigerated for several weeks without issue. I usually go by the date on my eggs to use it by as the lemon juice, salt, and honey, all help to naturally preserve this. Just use your best judgement and do a small taste test if you feel it is getting old.



Notes and Substitutions

  • It is best to use fresh pasture raised eggs, not only are they healthier for you but the mayo will taste better and last longer. 
  • If you can't find avocado oil, (I buy a good quality one at Costco) you can use other types of oils to make mayo. I do not recommend using straight olive oil as it has a strong flavor but an olive oil blended with sunflower oil or works well. While sunflower oil isn't the healthiest oil, it is a good compromise when blended. 
  • My mayo always comes out a yellow color, I have no idea how the ones in the store are so white.
  • Check out Nom Nom Paleo's mayo made with macadamia oil and Wellness Mama's mayo made with an olive oil/coconut oil blend


Do you make your own mayo or other sauces?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.