Sunday, February 1, 2015

Salted Carmel Protein Latte


I am long overdue for a a blog post. We have been busy around here getting ready for our new family member and doing the GAPS diet. You can read more about it here, but it is a gut healing diet that we are trying out for our son's eczema and my husband autoimmune diseases. It seems to be helping so far but it is a lot of work. I was used to preparing most of our meals but it requires that I prepare all of them plus extra things like bone broth and fermented vegetables. So how am I keeping up with everything while nearing the end of my pregnancy? I treat myself to one of these delicious lattes quite often. There is some debate about caffeine and pregnancy, I'm in the 'a little bit is okay' club but this latte works great with decaf or dandelion coffee too. Enjoy!






Salted Carmel Protein Latte

Gluten Free, Vegan**
Serves 2

2.5 cups prepared coffee or (coffee substitute )
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut sugar *I do not recommend substituting, see notes
1/2 tsp course sea salt
1 tsp GF vanilla extract
Optional: **4 tablespoons of collagen hydrolysate


  1. Prepare the coffee
  2. Add all of the ingredients to a blender with a vent, mine holds 5 cups and I wouldn't recommend doing it in a smaller one.
  3. Be careful when blending hot liquids. You can place a dish towel over the vent so you don't get hit with coffee. I like to start by pulsing and then hitting blend, it usually doesn't spew out with this method.
  4. Blend for about 30 seconds until frothy.
  5. Pour into 2 cups and serve immediately. 



Notes and Substitutions


  • * I do not recommend subbing a different type of sugar because it is the flavor of the coconut sugar that gives this a caramel taste. Coconut sugar is a whole sugar so it's full of vitamins and minerals and it is lower on the glycemic index.
  • **Collagen hydrolysate is a type of gelatin. Wellness Mama has a great post about it. It is what makes this coffee full of protein and it adds to the frothiness, you can leave it out if you don't have any or if you want to make this vegan then use a scoop of vegan protein powder like brown rice powder.

What is your favorite coffee drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.