Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Chocolate Mini Cake Donuts with Peppermint Glaze


I recently started a Pintrest account. Yeah, like I need one more distraction! Immediately my board was inundated with peppermint concoctions. Some chocolate donuts with white chocolate peppermint icing caught my eye and I knew I had to make a “me” version. I originally made these “donuts”, which are really more like cake, for Mercury to snack on. They were with cinnamon and plantain with a cashew glaze. Super yummy but not chocolate-peppermint! These have been a nice little sack to have around the house. Don't let the word 'donut' fool you, these are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and natural sugars. Enjoy.



Chocolate Mini Cake Donuts with Peppermint Glaze

Gluten Free, Vegan
Adapted from this recipe

Wet Ingredients
1 ripe banana
3 tbl maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbl soft coconut oil
¼ cup  shelled hemp seeds
¾ cup water

Dry ingredients
3 tbl ground chia seeds
½ cup coconut flour
¼ rounded cup cacao powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda

Peppermint Glaze
Inspired by this recipe


8 tbl coconut butter
4 tbl coconut oil
2 tbl maple syrup
1.5 tsp peppermint oil
1-2 tbl ground dry goji berries

  1. Combine the dry ingredients, use a fork to whisk out any clumps.
  2. In a blender or food processor combine the wet ingredients until smooth.
  3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until a soft batter starts to form. It should hold together when rolled.
  4. Scoop out 2 tablespoons worth of dough and roll into a ball. Mash the ball into a circle onto a parchment lined baking sheet and poke a hole in the center with your finger. These wont rise much so flatten them to the desired height.
  5. Bake on 375oF for 15-18 minutes (I bake on a stone so it takes a little longer). They will look a little dry on top and smell like chocolate banana bread when ready!
  6. Let them cool while you make the glaze.
  7. To make the glaze, first melt your oils together then combine all of the ingredients and whisk with a fork. If your oils are to warm then it will be hard to combine. You may need to let them cool a little to get it to mix.
  8. Once the donuts are completely cool (I popped them in the freezer for 30 minutes) you can ice them by dunking them into the glaze. The goji berries will be sunk to the bottom so I used a spoon to spoon them on top. Put them back onto the lined tray and put them in the freezer to harden the glaze.
  9. Store in the fridge.


Notes and Substitutions

  • You can use ground flax for the ground chia. I tested both.
  • I noticed that as I got to the end of my glaze it started to get clumpy as the coconut butter separated out. I used homemade coconut butter so this may be why. The last few weren’t pretty but still tasted good. Also you can let the glaze cool to a soft butter consistency and use a knife or spatula to “ice” the tops of the donuts, just stir it a few times as it cools.


Here are some links to a few of my favorite peppermint recipes

-This recipe was the inspiration for my glaze and is super delicious. I actually think it would make a great topping for these donuts all on its own

-I make these all the time and I pretty much lived off of them when my son was a newborn. They are so easy to make and amazing to taste.

-I love making home made and natural versions of candy.

-Um really, what’s better than ice cream?







What is your favorite chocolate-peppermint treat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.