Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Whiskey Pecan Bars




I love sweets, have I mentioned that before? One of my favorite treats this time of year is pecan pie. I mean really who doesn’t love the taste of buttery pecans and bourbon? I usually get my fix over Thanksgiving but it is definitely a treat I intend to have more than once.  I came up with this recipe sort of accidently. I was testing out different combinations for pecan pie filling, sans corn syrup, when I made the concoction below. My husband loved it, and this means a lot coming from him; being a south Georgian man he knows his pecans and he knows his whiskey. I told him I just needed a crust and he told me it was great without it. Who wants to fuss with a crust anyway? I decided to make this into bars because it’s a little bit drier than regular pecan pie and it makes perfect little bites for that part goer that “just wants a sliver” or a mom dashing past the fridge while chasing baby.

Whiskey Pecan Bars


1.5 cups raw chopped pecans
2 tbl grass-fed butter
2 tbl molasses
4 tbl maple syrup
2 tbl whiskey or bourbon
2 tbl flax meal
6 tbl coconut shreds

The batter should start to thicken and stick together



Combine butter, molasses, and maple syrup in pot and cook on medium heat until it begins to bubble. One it starts boiling let it bubble for a minute without stirring. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in whiskey, pecans, flax meal and coconut shreds. The mix should start to thicken. Press into an 8x3 inch parchment lined pan. A standard loaf pan will also work. The parchment paper is essential or it will stick even if you oil it. Bake on 350oF for 20 minutes or until the top no longer looks wet. Allow the pan to cool completely, I let one set in the fridge, then cut into bars. 

Notes and Substitutions

I haven’t tried it but I’m pretty sure chia meal or and egg could replace the flax meal
You could use coconut oil instead of the butter to make it vegan, but I highly recommend the butter

There is some debate as to whether or not whiskey contains gluten, I think spiced rum would taste great in it’s place.












I love cooking with the flavors of alcohol; what are some of your favorite alcohols to cook with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.