Sunday, January 5, 2014

31 Days of Green: Day 5 Spinach



Spinach is one of the easiest greens to add to your diet. It has a mild flavor, cooks up quick and easy, and is abundant at every grocery store and many farmers market.  I try to buy most of my produce at the farmers market but spinach is one exception. This is my go to quick food because I can buy a bulk size pre-washed and ready to eat. When I made this post it was hard for me to decide what spinach recipe to share because it is so versatile . I love spinach dip, spinach in a smoothie, and good old spinach salad. I like to add it to anything I can because spinach has so many health benefits. Spinach is really high in iron, calcium and folate. Three things you never stop hearing about when your pregnant. I tried to eat a lot of spinach when I was pregnant. One of the easiest ways to do this is to puree the spinach into your food or a smoothie. It is also high in vitamin K and fiber. Read more about spinach’s health benefits here.  Another reason I love spinach is how fast it cooks up. Just a few minutes of wilting and its done or it is very tasty raw. Today’s recipe is really fun to make and is a new favorite of our sons. I’ll let you guess where I got the inspiration.



Green Eggs and Yam

Gluten Free
Serves 2 and a baby

1 large handful of spinach (about 1 packed cup)
1 small handful of spinach (about ½ packed cup)
4 eggs
¼ cup milk (full fat cow, goat, or coconut work best)

½ large yam or sweet potato
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cinnamon
salt to taste

coconut oil for cooking

Begin heating oil in pan over medium heat. Wash the yam and cut in half. Dice half of the yam into small pieces and put into the hot pan. Add chili powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir to coat. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the yam pieces are firm but tender. You may have to add a little water half way through to keep it from sticking. While the yams cook, add eggs, milk, and large handful of spinach to the blender and puree until there are no chunks. Once the potatoes are done remove them from the pan and add a little more oil. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and sprinkle a small handful of spinach over top. You can also add any seasonings now. I added salt and garlic. Once the eggs start to cook you can move them around with a wooden spoon until fully cooked. Serve your green eggs and yam warm.

Notes and Substitutions

  • If you put a lid over the yams while they are cooking then they will cook faster. Also the smaller you dice them, the less time it will take.
  • You can scramble the eggs, as in the recipe, or make omelets.


 


What is your favorite way to enjoy spinach?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.