Monday, July 21, 2014

Cauliflower Country Gravy


It has been a long time since I've had biscuits and gravy. At least a decade. If your not impressed or distraught by this then you probably aren't from the south. I used to love biscuits and gravy when I was kid, but deciding to follow a vegetarian diet at the tender age of twelve pretty much ended by gravy days, as it traditionally contains chicken stock and sausage. Okay, I don't know if that is actually the traditional way but it should be. Brown gravy is in the same boat (pun totally intended) as it usually made from pan drippings. Since adding meat back into my diet I have enjoyed my fair share of brown gravy as I can easily make it fit into our gluten free diet, but white gravy, or "country" gravy is basically flour and milk. Like many of my recipes this one was initiated by accident. I was trying to make a cauliflower alfredo sauce (like this recipe) and my husband remarked that it tasted a little like gravy. I logged it away in my brain until the hankering for biscuits and gravy struck me last week. I am proud of all of my recipes but I am especially proud of this one. Enjoy!







Cauliflower Country Gravy

Gluten Free, Vegan Options
Serves 4

1 lb cauliflower florets (about 4-5 cups)
2 cups water or 1 cup water and 1 cup chicken stock
2 tbl grass-fed butter, lard, or coconut oil, melted
1 tsp sea salt or to taste
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
4 slices bacon or 1/3 pound ground sausages (optional)


  1. I used frozen cauliflower, but fresh is fine. If using frozen thaw it out, if it is fresh them steam it until fork tender.
  2. Melt the butter (or fat choice, but the butter is the most authentic tasting) in a medium pot.
  3. Add the cauliflower, water, melted butter, salt and pepper to the blender and blend until completely smooth. I let my cheap blender go for at least a minute to get it creamy.
  4. Add the pureed cauliflower mix back to the pot and gently heat over low, stirring occasionally.
  5. In a separate pan cook your bacon or sausage. If using bacon then let it cool slightly before breaking into small pieces and adding to the pot. If using sausage then just add the cooked crumbles to the pot.
  6. You can make this ahead of time and just heat it up when you are ready. Stir it well as some of the water will separate.
  7.  Serve hot over biscuits.

Notes and Substitutions

  • To make this vegan use coconut oil and water, and no bacon obviously!
  • If you want it thicker add less water or heat it longer, stirring often, to cook some of the water out. Although with 2 cups of liquid it will be pretty thick.
  • I really recommend using freshly ground pepper as it tastes so much better in this recipe, but it is not necessary.
Thaw or steam the cauliflower.
I just put mine in the blender and let it sit out for a few hours to thaw

Melt the butter

Add everything to the blender except the meat.
Blend until smooth and creamy.

Cook your meat.

Add everything to a pot and heat over low.

Enjoy! I had it over biscuits and shredded chicken.










How do you make gravy?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you are having trouble posting a comment please make sure you are accepting cookies from this site or it may not work.